Data scientist is considered to be one of the most satisfying and highly paid careers around the world in the 21st century. Because of the huge demand of data scientists and data analytics professionals around the world, many students and working professionals are now planning to pursue a degree in Data Science. Pursuing a Master’s in Data Science enhances your skills and enables you to take up study modules that comprise of tools and platforms being used across the industry to collect, process, analyse and generate results on the basis of the data.
Cities like Berlin & Hamburg are now called as the start-up hub of Europe where thousands of start-ups are registering every month. Today we are living in the digital age and most of the business or evolving companies depends on data to make important business decisions, plan marketing campaigns to grow their business after analysing Data. Apart from being the world leader in the mechanical industry from years, Germany now has become an IT hub too. There are lakhs of job opportunities available for upcoming students and working professionals from all across the globe to work in Germany and pursue their career in IT industry.
In this article we would like to highlight the scope of data science in Germany, pursuing a Master’s in Data Sience in Germany and also the admission requirements to pursue a Master’s of Data Science in Germany. We all know Germany has become one of the topmost study destinations for Indians. Every year nearly 80k students are going to Germany for their higher studies. The major reasons behind this increase of the students applying for a place in German universities are:
- Germany has more than 400 public Universities with over 17000-degree options.
- German public universities charge a small negligible amount of semester fees from the international students. Except for some universities in which Tuition fees up to Euros 1500/semester have been applied.
- Germany is an ideal destination to look for job post studies. The average salary of skilled workers in Germany is approximately Euros 40000/ annually. There is a huge demand for IT candidates and skilled workers.
- Germany offers to stay back option of 18 months post studies which is valid for both Bachelor’s and master’s students. This is a good enough time for focused candidates to find a job in Germany.
- You get to study in some of the top educational systems of the world. The competition in German universities is so high that the University rankings don’t play a big role in fetching you a job. Hence getting an admission in any of the Public Universities in Germany is always an achievement.
Out so many courses available in Germany for students with an engineering background, courses related to computers & Information Technology are the 2nd most demanding courses. Mechanical engineering and its relevant courses are the first ones. Data science has now emerged as one of the most after course amongst Indian students and the application for pursuing this course from Germany has increased tremendously. The sheer demand for jobs around data science and data analytics has become a need of the hour not only in Germany but most of the other developed Schengen countries of Europe. Studying in Germany opens the door for students to apply for jobs in any of the Schengen countries after completing studies from Germany.
What is an ideal profile to get admission to public Universities in Germany?
We have already mentioned the scope of job opportunities in Germany and the benefits of pursuing a course in Data Science in Germany. So what should be an ideal profile to get admission? You will find below all the important points related to the application and requirements:
- Your Bachelor’s degree -- Any student with a bachelor’s degree of 3 or 4 years of study in India in a course related to computer studies or statistics is the most suitable candidate for Master’s study related to Data Science. However, the credit points of subjects related to computers, mathematics and statistics play a very important role in admission.
- Marks in Bachelor’s -- Most of the German public universities have mandatory requirements of 2.5 German grades which are almost equivalent to 70% in Indian marks. Anything above 70% increases your chances of getting admission in Germany universities. However there many other factors being considered by Universities before shortlisting the final selected students.
- English proficiency exam -- Majority of the German public universities accepts IELTS, TOEFL & PTE. The most commonly attended by most Indian students are IELTS & TOEFL.
An ideal score IELTS is 6.5, which is being accepted by more than 85% of German universities. A few asks for 7 overall and few are ok with 6, 5.5 overall.
An ideal score in TOEFL is 90+ out of 120.
Students who are not able to give any of these exams also have a slight hope as a few universities are ok with proof of medium of your previous studies taught in English.
- Work experience & Internships -- Work experience plays a very important role for those candidates who belong to different engineering background yet are willing to pursue Masters in Data Science. As the candidates with a study background in Mechanical, electronic or other fields of studies doesn’t have credit points related to computers hence it becomes difficult for them to get accepted in German public universities. It is therefore strongly recommended that these candidates should have a minimum of 1 to 2 years of work experience in the field of data science or IT. Those candidates with study background in computers and relevant experience in their resume shall always be given higher preferences.
As for internships, it is strongly advisable to take up internships in companies related to your field of study keeping in mind your future goals.
- GRE/GATE -- GRE is not mandatory in all German universities, in fact, it is being asked in only a handful of German universities. A good GRE score is anything above 300. However, since the competition in German universities is so high that adding a few extra certificates and exams in your resume shall certainly enhance your profile.
- German language proficiency -- Even though if you are applying to English taught programs in German public Universities yet many of them have a mandatory requirement of German language proficiency up to A1 or A2 level. Hence we strongly recommend you to connect with us to start your German language online class without a delay.
Apart from all the major requirements mentioned above, a good Statement of purpose (SOP), a strong letter of recommendations also plays a major part in the selection. In the above video, you will find more information about the Data science courses options available and also the scope of pursuing data science in Germany from a private university.
At Rcare, we offer 100% admission guarantee for all our registered students. You can always connect with us by writing an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 01147940068 for availing our admission services for Germany.