Germany boosts of a profound health care system which is highly regarded across the globe. It offers a world-class education infrastructure in the study of medicine. Pursuing MBBS in Germany has become an increasingly popular study destination for enthusiast’s medical student outside the EU. Lately, in the last 3- 4 years Germany has gained huge popularity among Indian students & it has emerged as a new favourite study abroad country.
So what led to this popularity of studying MBBS in Germany among Indian students?
- Germany offers an affordable education system which is also marketed as free education. The German public universities charge a small amount of semester contribution (semester fees) which is nominal enough to be easily afforded by the deserving students.
- Study of MBBS in India is very expensive. The medical universities in India charge enormous fees.
- Cut throat competition to get a seat in a government medical university in India.
- Germany boasts of a renowned health care system in the world and has some of the oldest universities teaching MBBS program.
- Practical oriental and simulation-based study approach in German universities offers you enough hands-on experience that paves the path to your employment opportunities in Germany.
Being part of such an esteemed and globally appreciated medical & health care system demands a systematic and competitive approach for admission. You can watch a complete overview of the application process for MBBS in Germany in this video below:
How many years does it take to complete MBBS in Germany?
Study of medicine or MBBS in Germany is taught only in Germany language. Hence before you start your studies it is mandatory to acquire German language skills. In addition to that starting, an MBBS degree in Germany is only possible if you have a higher school education certificate equivalent to German abitur. Majority of the Indian school examination boards are not equivalent to German abitur except in some cases with boards like IB. Hence after completing 12th from India you need to join M-studienkollege in Germany for a duration of 1 year and it concludes with the final assessment test of “Feststellungsprüfung” (FSP). It is only after you successfully complete the assessment test you can start the 1st year of your MBBS study in German public universities. Study of medicine in Germany is divided into 4 stages:
- Pre-Clinical phase – The 1st phase of MBBS studies is for four semesters which is called as pre-clinical phase. Apart from the study, it is mandatory to complete the first aid training and 90 days of nursing service in this phase. It concludes with the 1st phase of medical examinations.
- Clinical Phase – This phase comprises of 6 semesters. This phase involves studies of internal medicine, propaedeutics, surgical subjects, nervous and sensory systems, internships and general medicine. This concludes with the second phase of medical examination
- Practical year – The third phase of MBBS study is focused on bedside training. After the completion of pre-clinical phase and clinical phase the university entrusts the students with the responsibility of taking care of the patients under the guidance of the faculties. This phase consists of 2 semester’s. It generally includes a mandatory 16 weeks each of bedside clinical training in internal medicine, surgery and an elective subject. This concludes with the third phase of medical examination.
- State examination – State examination or approbation (regulation of the licensing of doctors) takes place in 3 stages. The 1st exam is after the completion of pre-clinical phase. The 2nd exam after the completion of clinical phase. The 3rd exam after the completion of practical year. After successfully completion of this exam the student can earn the medical license in Germany to start the practice.
Hence the total number of study years for MBBS in Germany is:
1 yr studienkollege + 2 yr pre-clinical phase + 3 year clinical phase + 1 yr practical year + state exam (within 1-3 months post practical year) = Approximately 7 year & 2/3 months
How much does it cost to study MBBS in Germany?
The cost of studying MBBS in Germany is very nominal as compared to any other developed country or even less than studying MBBS in India. Since the German public universities are state-funded hence the student doesn’t have to pay tuition fees however there is a small amount of semester contribution that is charged which approximately varies between 100-500 Euros/semester (INR 8000- INR 40000) as per university norms. Click on the video to know the monthly living expenditure in Germany for students.
Top medical universities in Germany
- Heidelberg University (Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg)
Heidelberg University is a public research university, its medical faculty is one of the oldest medical faculties in Germany. The university was established in the year 1386. Heidelberg is the German excellence university. Heidelberg University is also recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
- Tübingen University
The University of Tubingen is one of the 11 German Excellence universities. This university was founded in the year 1477 and offering excellent education for over 500 years now.
- RWTH Aachen University
RWTH Aachen is an open research public university and it is the most renowned university in entire Europe. The university was established in the year 1870 and since then it has been offering excellent educational programs. Presently the university consists of approximately 45,628 national and international students.
- Humboldt University Of Berlin
Humboldt is a public university located in the capital city of Germany, Berlin. It was established in the year 1801 that makes it the oldest of Berlin’s 4 universities. The university offers excellent courses in the field of medicine. The Humboldt University of Berlin presently has over 35000 students.
- Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg
The University was founded in the year 1993 and it is one of the youngest universities in Germany. The medical education of Magdeburg is well known for its excellence.
The University of Lübeck is a research university in northern Germany which focuses entirely on Medicine & Sciences with applications in medicine. The university was established in the year 1964. It offers professional degrees and doctoral degrees in medicine and Bachelor, Master and doctoral degrees. In 2006, 2009 and 2016, the University of Lübeck was ranked No. 1 in medicine among all universities in Germany.
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
LMU is one of Europe’s premier academic and research institution. Established in the year 1472 as University Of Ingolstadt, It is also Germany’s 6th oldest university. Its medical centre is the most prestigious and largest institution of this kind in Germany. The university’s current world university ranking is 32.
German public universities are considered as the best educational institution in the world & studying MBBS from such emphatic institutions is a stepping stone towards a successful career in the field of medicine. At Rcare overseas education, we offer complete education guidance related to study in Germany by assisting them with admission for pursuing MBBS in Germany and also prepares them in learning the German language. Please contact us at 01147940068 for admission related queries to MBBS in Germany or email us at [email protected]